Thursday 4 July 2013

Experimenting

Time to experiment a little more. I have just been to Ann Blockley's exhibition in the Cotswolds and came home fired with enthusiasm. I also came across a technique whereby you crumple up a piece of greaseproof paper, then add paint to the ridges of the creases and then press it onto a sheet of dry paper to produce interesting shapes for undergrowth etc.9 I have lent out the book, but will give you more details when it is returned to me) I thought it was worth a go, but do not be fooled by what looks simple when the experts do it!!!

I had a go at using a variety of semi abstract ideas to paint a woodland scene, including the crumpled paper (in the foreground) and creating twiggy bits by blowing through a straw.

I did not know when to admit defeat, and so wasted paint and effort, when I could have given up and started something else. I will not, however be defeated in the long term, as it is really interesting to try these odd processes to create interesting and textured paintings. But it is a case of accepting that lots of time and effort will need to be spent on refining them to produce anything like the result I was hoping to achieve.


4 comments:

  1. Great persistence in developing your range of techniques. This piece has a lovely range of mark making. Thanks for providing the rest of us with the ideas that you are picking up along your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mick, you are correct in that there are lots of techniques to explore, one just has to learn to use them effectively. Thanks for your comments

      Delete
  2. You are not defeated, you are learning along the way. Great painting and textures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Polly and yes it is a learning process. I am not personally defeated, just this painting got away from me......must try harder, but its great fun.

      Delete