Friday 28 September 2012

Abstract at AVA

This must be the most difficult subjects that members have to tackle. Thinking outside the box is really hard to do if you are mainly a figurative painter.
Although I knew what the subject was to be, having taken part in the setting of the programme ( 4 large white cardboard boxes) I had no idea what I would do until I got there.
After a bit of thought, I decided that lovely combinations of colour would be good, and so used a series of angles, into which I added varios washes. At the time I thought that I was making the paint fairly strong, but at the end of the 2 hour session, I thought the whole thing was wishy-washy, and I did have problems coping with the lack of curves.
I had every intention of improving the painting when I got home, but I think I only made it worse.
Never mind, it would not do to have 100% success. A bit of abject failure is a good spur to trying harder!!







The painting was done on 'Cornwall' paper.







4 comments:

  1. I don't think the additions helped Yvonne. If in doubt leave well alone. I've learned that to my cost - frequently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Peter. I think my comments bear out your thoughts. Obviously a case of .....must try harder!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Peter, the addition of your doilies spoils a really subtle and intriguing image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Mick. I am afraid even the initial effort leaves me a bit cold. Kees Van Aalst, in his book, 'Realistic Abstracts' suggests that one of the most frequent problems is......'tonal quality too much in half tones creating a dull, lifeless picture'. My result to a T, but it was better than what I am now left with. Back to the drawing board!

      Delete